Monday, September 1, 2014

“To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.” – Aldous Huxley

Today is my last day before the academic semester begins at AUI. After four long days of orientation, I have learned more about Moroccan culture, academic policies at the University, dos and don'ts in Morocco, and I signed my residency papers!

I have been in total observation mode since I arrived here, and I have been noticing some really interesting things. For the most part, Moroccan students are just like American students. The society here is not that different than in America, except for a few parts. First off, there is an interesting law in Morocco stating that if a woman consents to be alone in a room (or car, etc) with a man, then anything that happens afterwards, is done with consent... even if the woman says "no". I am very thankful for learning about this, because in America, it is completely different. At school, however, the President and faculty that are part of a program called the No Violence Alliance (NoVA), are able to take action against sexual assault and violence in regards to "Date Rape", even if legally, the offender cannot be prosecuted. Al Akhawayn University is extremely safe and I feel so comfortable here. Morocco as a whole is also safe, but knowing the customs and laws is vital to creating a safer environment for foreigners.

Another difference is the fact that Morocco is a Muslim country. Many women in Islam are becoming more progressive and choosing what they want to do, and what they don't want to do within their religion. My roommate, for example, chooses not to wear a hijab. She told me that even though Muslim women are usually identified by wearing a head covering, a lot of girls are choosing not to wear one. Wearing a hijab is much more than just covering one's head. Many conservative rules are applied to a woman once she chooses to wear one. As a teenager or college student, it is less appealing to wear one because strict rules regarding interaction with the opposite sex apply, and some activities that teens and students take part in, like partying, will no longer be allowed.

I really appreciate the time my roommate takes out of her day to pray. She is Muslim and prays five times a day. At night, when we are both settling in for the evening, she takes out her prayer rug and prays for about five minutes. During this time, I reflect on my own day, and I use this time to center myself as well. It is a great way to end a long day. Even if I am not part of her faith, I use the time of silence to reflect and think.

I am surprised when I see what clothes people are wearing here, particularly females. When I was packing, I made sure to bring long skirts, dresses, and pants, as well as long-sleeved shirts and cardigans to cover up. In towns, the style is much more conservative, but on campus the girls wear crop tops, short shorts, low cut shirts and tank tops, as well as tight and revealing clothing. I only brought one pair of shorts, but I wish I brought more because the campus culture is much more like Kent than I anticipated.

I am so happy to have been given the opportunity to study abroad. I have noticed that the other international students have very similar personalities, because it takes a certain kind of person to study abroad... and choose Morocco. I am meeting so many amazing Moroccans and international students from all over the globe.

This weekend, the plan is to go to Rabat and surf! My IPhone actually broke three days ago--which is terrible in regards to staying in contact with my family, but awesome because I don't have my phone 24/7--so I will be getting it fixed in Rabat and a bunch of students are making a trip out of it! I will be learning how to surf as well as navigating through a new city! Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment